Tuesday, October 16, 2012

The Kids are Watching

So, I have so many great ideas for a blog recently.  I've been thinking of how to fit in "big" words to grate on a certain someone's nerves and I have the best one to use for another time.  And I constantly have ideas floating about my head.  Last week, I even typed up an entire blog that I was ready to post until my computer shut off and I lost everything I typed.  Frustrated, I said "forget it" in a not so nice way and decided I wasn't doing it again.  Now that I've cooled down, I can start fresh.  A lot has been happening at our house, but then again, it's really not that much, either.  Confused?  LOL  Me, too.  Let's go back a few weeks though.

This blog has to do with that famous "mom" line that I always heard growing up.  And now I hear myself repeating it to my own kids, as well as my students!  You know the one.... "Do as I say, not as I do."  Yeah, annoying, right?  I always thought so.  What I do know through brain research from all of my college classes, as well as my own experiences, is more fitting with this quote.... "Don't worry that your children never listen to you, be worried that they are always watching you."  (Robert Fulghum)  That kind of changes things, eh?  However, I hope our kids were watching a few weeks ago.... let me explain why.

Our kids got an amazing first-hand lesson in perseverance and the value of friendship thanks to their wonderful dad/sdad.  The final racing weekend was looking to be exciting as Bobby was "thisclose" to a championship with 2 races to go.  The 2nd to last race saw a competitor crash him out of competition and inflicting quite a bit of damage to the car.  It was pretty extensive and Bobby declared the season over as there was too much work to be done to be able to race the very next night.  The loving, competitive wife that he has (hahaha) rolled her eyes and called a BFF.  Well, I know just who to call, apparently, because the response I got was "call me after you wash it".  I did so and also sent pictures of the damage.  Now, realize this is about 11 pm but he says "I can't fix it in Davenport, get it back to Burlington to the shop."  Bobby is still adamant about not busting his butt to get it fixed but he shakes his head at me and agrees to at least go see what the-all-powerful-Mattie has to say.  The kids are insisting on fixing it and they were more than happy to sleep in the car on the way home AND in Matt's driveway for over an hour as the damage is surveyed and a plan of action figured out.  Friends and family put up some cash to pay for replacement parts and Matt, Taeger, Bobby and I set out working on putting it together. I was the first to give up with the excuse that I need to get the kids home....it was now after 3 a.m.!  The guys kept working until after 4 a.m.  and even then only came home to grab a quick shower and a nap before hitting it hard starting early the next morning.

The kids were up early and ready to spend the day at Midland playing, riding the 4-wheeler and whatever else they could do to pass time.  They were so good!!!  We worked until 4 pm...just in time for the guys to rest for a few minutes before heading to the race track.  I really don't know how they stood up...that was hard work and I only worked half as hard for half the time!  But the reward was so amazing...I only wish Bobby could have been in the stands to hear it first hand!  Our kids had never cheered so hard (Bobby was running 2nd) nor were they ever so proud of that 2nd place finish!  Hey, we usually are crabby finishing second....nothing but winning is good enough!   Those cheers and hearing the kids talk about what truly amazing friends we have to spend so much time (and money) to help us was just phenomenal.  We are truly a team and being able to SHOW the kids what hard work is and how it pays off is so much better than explaining to them.  And for them to see what it truly means to help others will make them better people.  I can't wait to see what the world has in store for them!  To be so truly blessed with friends (that really are like family) and family that are loved so dearly is worth more than all the money in the world!  

So to those people that worked so hard....you know who you are.  THANK YOU!!!  You not only helped fix a stupid old race car (really, is Bobby EVER going to quit), but you have been an example to our children that will be molded into their character forever.  I know (and, I'm not worried) that our kids ARE watching.   Mandi

"A truly rich man is one whose children run into his arms when his arms are empty."

No comments:

Post a Comment