This second blog entry is long overdue. I really did have good intentions of keeping
up with my ramblings so that my journal would be easy fun for my kids to read one
day. It’s daunting to “put yourself out
there” as this blog needs to be. But I’m
not writing this for any, besides my children, who choose to read it.
But back to my story, I was playing the song on my computer
and reading about it when Cole came in to see what I was doing. The kids love music as much as I do and
especially if there is a story behind it.
I simply said a little boy had cancer and this song was about him. Having “my little man” with me, made me
realize, as only small moments like that can, that life is so fragile and
childhood so fleeting that I need to grab that small moment with everything I
have. Now if you know this little punk,
you know there aren’t many quiet moments but he is so very sweet. He sat on my lap and listened carefully and
hugged me tight. The girls came in
during this moment and I quickly said “be quiet” so as not to ruin the moment
but it wasn’t exactly ruined. It did
turn to hilarity in the blink of an eye as they started making fun of me crying
even though they agreed it was a sad song and felt sorry for the little
boy. Then Bobby came in and asked what
was going on and he instantly started crying as he listened to the song and all
of the kids start laughing. Yes, we’re a
bunch of babies around here but I promised these girls that they will one day
cry over of these things. This must be
my payback as I can remember staring at my mom during sad parts of movies just
so I could laugh at her crying. Yes,
mom, I understand now. But I can’t wait
to play it for them, although I hope it’s another 20 years from now! lol
It is Saturday and a beautiful fall morning that is very
quiet with only Cole at home. I’ve spent
a few of the early morning hours reading “Little Women”. I’m on a kick to read only classic literature
to check off my bucket-list items (shout out to Kathy F!). The book is very enjoyable but it makes me
sad because the love of family & siblings is so evident in every chapter and
brings up the hurt of my own fractured family.
I miss my dad and all of his siblings that made family life so wonderful
while I was growing up and now am sad that my own kids do not get the full
effect of this because of situations beyond our control. However, they do not know what they are
missing as much as I do. I am partly to
blame, I know. I get hurt and then just
pull away from everyone. This week has
been especially so. So many things are
beyond my control and my struggle is to be accepting and know that in time
things will be ok even though it won’t be as I wish it to be. So many things have changed that will forever
affect my family and there is no going back.
My dad taught us by example that one must give all to his family and my
mom teaches us to give up to God to let Him handle our troubles. In this teaching, I did something hard to
reach out to try to fix what needs to be fixed.
Whether it did anything, I really can’t tell. Only time will tell, I guess. In the meantime, it feels much like flailing
about at sea or caught up in a storm with no one to ground me.
Feeling sorry for myself and much like I have no family (so
maudlin, I know), but that is when the song at the beginning of this blog came
to my attention. It brought me up quick
to realize what I do have in front me is quite a gift even though I wish for
more. I’m fortunate for loving kids who
make me smile (and grumble, too, for where is the fun in easy sailing all the
time?), a son who has randomly been throwing his arms around me and singing
“come on baby, with me, we’re gunna fly away from here” to remind me of what’s
right in front me, a husband who loves me at my worst (he gets a lot of
practice), a job for each of us that provides for our family, friends who are
loved as family, and knowledge that while even though my family is fractured
now, if I truly needed them, each would be there in a heartbeat just as I would
for them. I guess my lesson is that I
shouldn’t waste another day by keeping on with this sadness while I have so
much joy beyond that. While my heart
hurts for everyone in my family and grieving for what is lost, I cannot change
it. I can only accept and move on. God knows my troubles and my weaknesses. So, enough of this sadness that I haven’t
been able to shake off this week. I may
wish to be in the bay windows with the sunshine warming me as I rock in the
chair today and relive happier memories of an easier time but I’ll need to just
tuck those memories and wishes away for another day. Instead I’ll hear my dad’s voice saying
“It’s such a beautiful, sunshine-y day, Manners, get out and enjoy it!” Or maybe it’s Cole’s voice hounding me to go
to the Air Show. Either way the message is clear…..today is gift, that’s why it
is called the present!
PS: Cancer sucks.
Ahhh Manners,
ReplyDeleteSuch beautiful words, full of honesty, sincerity, sorrow, happiness, gratefulness, and hope. Your writing has touched and moved me deeply. I am so very proud of you, what you do, and who you are. I know that Dad was and is proud of you too, he loved you and your sweet family so much.
I still need to sit in my rocker in the bay window and soak up the sunshine and ponder on life.
Keep blogging!
Love always,
Mom